Enjoy an evening of choral and chamber works composed by some sophisticated FIRST LADIES who pursued careers as composers despite obstructions galore, and were first in their pursuits. Works by Amy Beach, Rebecca Clarke, Ethel Smyth, Marianna von Martines, Francesca Caccini and Patricia Van Ness will be performed by Cappella Clausura, Inc. and string quartet under the direction of Amelia LeClair! The concerts will also feature a concert talk with renowned musicologist Dr. Liane Curtis, president of Women’s Philharmonic Advocacy (www.wophil.org) and the Rebecca Clarke Society (www.rebeccaclarke.org)
- 8PM Saturday, Oct 20 at Eliot Church Newton (474 Centre St, Newton)
- 4PM Sunday, Oct 21 at Lindsey Chapel Boston (15 Newbury St. Boston). For more info and tickets, please visit https://www.clausura.org/beach-clarke-caccini.
- Amy Beach: Quartet for Strings (In One Movement), Op. 89 (1929) & Kyrie from Grand Mass in E-flat, Op. 5 (1892) arr. for string quartet and chorus by Women’s Philharmonic Advocacy Publications Director, Chris A. Trotman. Available from https://www.amybeach.org/music/publications/. Chris will be attending both concerts!
- Rebecca Clarke: Comodo e Amabile (1924) for string quartet & He That Dwelleth (1921) for double choir a cappella
- Marianna von Martines: Miserere (1768) for chorus and continuo
- Francesca Caccini: Duets (1618) for voices and continuo
- Ethel Smyth: Kyrie from Mass in D (1891) arr. by Amelia LeClair for string quartet and chorus
- Patricia Van Ness: Premiere of new work for string quartet and soprano